Skip to main content

A Better Pair of Shoes "The Thinner Soul", a novel- Chp. 33-34


(Click on the Image for a Clear View.)

#ABPOS The Thinner Soul, Chp. 33


Reece- I didn't want to hate her or the green she was able to be. I knew it wasn't her fault for not knowing about Eaton.  She was only living up to her reputation, and whatever role she'd agreed to play in the game her and Radiance always seemed to be engaged in.  When I saw her review and the timing, I knew we were busted.  It was deep, and there was a bit of showboating, but it played well with her innocence. Her description of the stark white dress Radiance had worn on stage in Russia labeled as only her second favorite wedding dress behind a dress she'd seen once in a day's dream that she promised to tell the audience all about in due time, was her signature style briefing.  It was what her readers lived for.  Her knowledge for things that couldn't easily be imagined.  Like how the gown she'd seen was even more spectacular than her own dress, which she described as a steal away design.  All of the delicately dressed and layered statements seemed to bedazzle her review in a way that was otherworldly and all her own.  It was fun usually, but this time it was just a mockery of the thing she'd done.

I didn't know everything I wanted to know about Unger International, but Eaton had done a good job along with my dream to let me know Unger himself was to be taken seriously.  Therefore, the news of Kaylin's review was troubling.  It didn't make it any easier to pin point Unger in the type of things Eaton swore he was linked to, and the time just elapsed with every passing day until Sam got a dreadful text.
"Your guy might be in trouble. It seems he's been relocated, and that operation is now closed.  Not able to get in touch with my guy.  It's all dead air."

It was the kind of news that meant we'd made the wrong gamble, and the only thing left to do was squeeze Unger.  We had to operate on our turf like he had on his. We needed to shrink his influence, and limit his reach.  The quickest way to do that was to oust him from Simpleton and Fisher and to attach his name to my missing brother.  The next thing to do was to make as many phone calls as possible. Someone in our Rolodex was sure to have some connections with the federal bureau.  We needed to make a stop in all Unger International side operations, and so we did.


#ABPOS The Thinner Soul, Chp. 34

Eaton- It had taken me what felt like an eternity to hear her voice again.  There had been a thick wall of fog that stood between us after I had suddenly plummeted from a high place.  Within that fog was a stunning white light that spoke to me, and presented Radiance as a bride.  The voice was strong and seemed familiar; somewhat reminiscent of an era past.  It spoke about things that were once important to me, but I knew I'd loss my handle on them.

  "She's not going to be with you Eaton for a long while.  Her work is important, and so are you.  I brought you here because of your propensity for danger and blood, and the righteous prayers that have pierced my sovereignty about you.  Now, you will have everything you need, and you will certainly bring her to me."

It was all I had been given to understand of the chasm I'd fallen into.  After the voice had resounded, I could see myself eating and resting only, and over my shoulder there was a reoccurring projection of moments I'd lived.  I saw but didn't hear, and these had become my only two options.  I'd remained there until I didn't feel like a faint existence, and the chasm had closed between the two.  It was no longer in front me or behind me but beside me.  It had become more like within my mind's eye.  There I remained beside myself until nothing but wide pasture came before me.  I ran. I lay. I rolled. I slept.. and I grew stronger until the time that I could see her again.

She was buried in bed surrounded by a small crowd of pillows.  I spoke but nothing. I tried to reach for her, but static resistance occurred.  I watched her for days upon days, and I was drawn nearer and nearer until she jumped up from her sleep.

"Eaton?!" 

"Hi Radiance. You're like a ray of sunshine. I've been trying to reach you."

"Eaton, where are you?"

"No matter now. The only thing that's important now, is that you can hear me and I can see you."

"Where've you been? I've missed you. Everyone's worried.  We're told you've been moved."

"I have. But it's more complicated than that Rai.  I think I'm gone.  It's not like a gift or a grave desire to be with you that brought me here.  It's my chosen resting place; here with you." 

"What about our plans to get married?  What about all my prayers for your protection?  How could this be?  What about the dress?"  She continued on in a puzzled state of questioning.  I couldn't speak.  It was too definite; too final, and no words were substantial. She sat upright at the edge of the bed with both hands covering her face, and when she'd sat with all her questions and the truth of the moment, I kissed her on her cheek and then her lips.

"Eaton?!" It's me Rai. I Love you!

"But.. you're.."

"I'll be here. Don't go cold.  I Love you, and we'll find a way.  I promise."

"What about Reece?"  Her voice was ripe with horror.

"I'm sorry, but it's all with God now."  I reassured her.


A Better Pair of Shoes “The Thinner Soul”, a novel

Copyright 2025 by Natisha Renee Williams and Grace Call Communications
Also Known As…  #ABPOS The Thinner Soul

All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.  Written permission must be secured from the author Natisha R. Williams and/or Grace Call Communications to use or reproduce any part of this book, except for brief quotation in critical reviews or articles.


UnEarth!
Following UnEarth? Pick up the squares on the Blog for a walk through on how to UnEarth a Suspended-Release Novel. Post includes: Copyrighting, Branding, Step-by-Step Promoting Queues, and more. Begin with the green square that says Step 1.

Coming up in UnEarth is "Message From the Author".
#ABPOS2025 #ABPOS_TTS #UnEarthwithMe #UnEarth2025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1, Camie's Secret

A Better Pair of Shoes, a novel                                                                     Chapter 1 Introduction ( narrated by Kayla) Just as we are living souls; life itself has a soul.  And there’s a heartbeat to life.  I call it the rising and the falling.  Just as we must rise, I’ve learned that we must fall.  I find that I’m grateful for the things I learn when I fall, yet I often dislike the cuts they bring and the scars they leave behind.  Today I fell, but perhaps for months I’ve been falling, and I have all the bumps and bruises to prove it.  Although they’re not visible to the eye, they are surely recorded on my soul.  It’s funny how often my spirit tried to warn me, with a bit of melancholy here and uncertainty there, but at the time, I hadn’t considered t...

A Message From the Author!

  (Click the Image to Open a Clear View.) "Message From the Author" Dear Reader,  Thank you for taking the time to join the release of A Better Pair of Shoes "The Thinner Soul", a novel . The question of this piece is The Thinner Soul.  Is it within you?  Is it the soul without you? .. or Is it all around you?  Sometimes it's not about strait lines or circles, but rather, about the depths and the heights of our existence and how the ebbs and flow of those extremes impact the soul forever. This book follows the main character onto a journey of many loves.  Yet, with and even without each of these loves, her soul grows thinner by the sheer tug of war.  This story is a great exploration of things worth fighting for, and things worth relinquishing. It's no doubt Radiance is the central focus, and all the book's subplots remain superficial to the true scheme of things.  She remains resilient, and somewhat elusive until at last. I might also add, in thi...

Find the Author

Follow the Author of A Better Pair of Shoes . (Click the Image for a Clear View.  Download After Opening.) Join the Social Media Documentary on IG @ The Road2Wholeness Blog.  See you there!