Skip to main content

A Better Pair of Shoes "The Thinner Soul", a novel- Chapter 12


(Click on the Image for a Clear View.)

#ABPOS The Thinner Soul, Chp. 12


Monica Shepherd- A few days later he wandered in to the gallery again.  Funny, he approached it like the first time around.  It was an unforeseen development that he walked into my room however.  I'm just a few steps behind his, and I'm studying him as he looks up and down and then from wall to wall.  He's dressed like money.  The dark jewel tone colors and the textures read that way.  His hair is tapered with such precision, and his back pocket is not bulging with his wallet.  I suppose he's carrying it in the interior of his jacket.  I end my study with his suede navy loafers, and just then he's launching his first question.  

 "I didn't take you for a reader.  Is it a good time?"

"It's is brilliant time."  I quickly gear up.  We both head for the small table and chairs and he sits down in a bit of a sumo squat with his knees kicked out in opposite directions.  I suppose his distance from the table speaks for his hesitation or skepticism.  I don't speak yet when his questions begin to waterfall.

"I have a name I'm curious about.  Can you tell me what particular relation I have to the name Dunbar?  Likewise, what investments might I look into?"

He's all business, and I can't pin point what detail gives me away. I'm not sure why he didn't expect a palm reading.  Most people assumed right along those lines and didn't lead with questions.  He's placed a money clip on the table, and has both elbows pressed into the wood with his hands cuffed together.  I'm smiling inside at his demeanor.. his drive-thru restaurant style behavior, but I keep my head down. I mean I stay under my awarenesses.  I don't lead, I follow the gift.  I rearrange a few of my cards and even take a sip of water.  I make a few other adjustments while I wait to hear if he has any other ideas of why he's here.  Then without a touch or any other delays, I look up firmly.

"Appreciate what you have and what you've built.  There's no new news about the Dunbars and there's no relenting.  The closest you should aspire to be is an outpost; a necessary take down, and perhaps you should keep your head down."  

"And my investments?"  

"Appreciate what you have and what you've built."  I repeated with a nuance of emphasis that couldn't be misdirected.  I'd get to know if my presumptions were good about him.  I wanted to know if he was underdressed or overdressed.  If he'd been a lucky member, or if he was all his own salt.   

I also wondered more about what he and Radiance might have in common, but it was a protected area.  A dark spot.  I didn't get many of those.  I was advantaged and trusted.  I could see ahead far enough to keep lanes strait, and so I knew it was important.


A Better Pair of Shoes “The Thinner Soul”, a novel

Copyright 2025 by Natisha R. Williams and Grace Call Communications
Also Known As…  #ABPOS The Thinner Soul


All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.  Written permission must be secured from the author Natisha R. Williams and/or Grace Call Communications to use or reproduce any part of this book, except for brief quotation in critical reviews or articles.


UnEarth!
Following UnEarth? Pick up the squares on the Blog for a walk through on how to UnEarth a Suspended-Release Novel. Post includes: Copyrighting, Branding, Step-by-Step Promoting Queues, and more. Begin with the green square that says Step 1.

Coming up in UnEarth is the "After Six" pointers and The Awards Ceremony.
#ABPOS2025 #ABPOS_TTS #UnEarthwithMe #UnEarth2025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1, Camie's Secret

A Better Pair of Shoes, a novel                                                                     Chapter 1 Introduction ( narrated by Kayla) Just as we are living souls; life itself has a soul.  And there’s a heartbeat to life.  I call it the rising and the falling.  Just as we must rise, I’ve learned that we must fall.  I find that I’m grateful for the things I learn when I fall, yet I often dislike the cuts they bring and the scars they leave behind.  Today I fell, but perhaps for months I’ve been falling, and I have all the bumps and bruises to prove it.  Although they’re not visible to the eye, they are surely recorded on my soul.  It’s funny how often my spirit tried to warn me, with a bit of melancholy here and uncertainty there, but at the time, I hadn’t considered t...

A Message From the Author!

  (Click the Image to Open a Clear View.) "Message From the Author" Dear Reader,  Thank you for taking the time to join the release of A Better Pair of Shoes "The Thinner Soul", a novel . The question of this piece is The Thinner Soul.  Is it within you?  Is it the soul without you? .. or Is it all around you?  Sometimes it's not about strait lines or circles, but rather, about the depths and the heights of our existence and how the ebbs and flow of those extremes impact the soul forever. This book follows the main character onto a journey of many loves.  Yet, with and even without each of these loves, her soul grows thinner by the sheer tug of war.  This story is a great exploration of things worth fighting for, and things worth relinquishing. It's no doubt Radiance is the central focus, and all the book's subplots remain superficial to the true scheme of things.  She remains resilient, and somewhat elusive until at last. I might also add, in thi...

Find the Author

Follow the Author of A Better Pair of Shoes . (Click the Image for a Clear View.  Download After Opening.) Join the Social Media Documentary on IG @ The Road2Wholeness Blog.  See you there!