Skip to main content

A Better Pair of Shoes "The Thinner Soul", a novel- Chp. 37

 

(Click the Image for a Clear View.)


#ABPOS The Thinner Soul, Chp. 37


Jeff- I'd never guessed when I first started wondering about my heritage that it would lead to two parts Dunbar.  When we'd gotten back to L.A. Ketly and I had taken everything we knew to a local historical society archives library.  We'd waited nearly a week to sit with someone, and it was everything in one sitting.  It was an oral record logged there by my grandmother Dorsey herself.  She'd made it just weeks after my father was killed.  It included her knowledge of her father's meaning by naming her Dorsey Dunbar and paper records of her marriage to Timothy Earl Dunbar, a railworker.  There was even news clippings about my father's death and my grandmother Dorsey's endorsement of his full-breed status.  It was a sort of oxymoron.  A Black full-breed Dunbar.  It made me wonder if my grandmother Dorsey had been in love with Timothy Earl Dunbar, or whether it had been more concerted.  The records talked about the Black Dunbar legacy, and freed Dunbars who had been told by their master Sir Dorsey Dunbar that the freeing of the slaves was imperative for America to launch its legal system.  The oral history was that many slave masters had been asked before the war to support the budding legal system, by freeing the slaves.  Those who stood to capitalize eagerly supported an end to slavery, but others who couldn't see the future of America through the ending of slavery we're strongly opposed.  Sir Dorsey Dunbar was a clear supporter, but had used his understanding to enfranchise his slaves.  My grandmother had been named after the old slave-master in order to keep the connection alive; to show that the lineage was self-aware and not a rolling ball of hay.

I didn't know how to feel about everything I'd heard, but it was all carefully documented.  I suddenly felt what my great-grandfather had done.  Without a doubt, I had been transported by the information.  Without a doubt, I began as tumbleweed, and had ended up hand-stitched into the Dunbar legacy.  

I could only wonder whether Radiance would ever receive such a dipping, or if her connection to the Dunbar legacy would always elude her.



A Better Pair of Shoes “The Thinner Soul”, a novel
Copyright 2025 by Natisha Renee Williams and Grace Call Communications
Also Known As…  #ABPOS The Thinner Soul

All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.  Written permission must be secured from the author Natisha R. Williams and/or Grace Call Communications to use or reproduce any part of this book, except for brief quotation in critical reviews or articles.


UnEarth!
Following UnEarth? Pick up the squares on the Blog for a walk through on how to UnEarth a Suspended-Release Novel. Post includes: Copyrighting, Branding, Step-by-Step Promoting Queues, and more. Begin with the green square that says Step 1.

Coming up in UnEarth.. "Message From the Author".
#ABPOS2025 #ABPOS_TTS #UnEarthwithMe #UnEarth2025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find the Author

Follow the Author of A Better Pair of Shoes . (Click the Image for a Clear View.  Download After Opening.) Join the Social Media Documentary on IG @ The Road2Wholeness Blog.  See you there!

Chapter 1, Camie's Secret

A Better Pair of Shoes, a novel                                                                     Chapter 1 Introduction ( narrated by Kayla) Just as we are living souls; life itself has a soul.  And there’s a heartbeat to life.  I call it the rising and the falling.  Just as we must rise, I’ve learned that we must fall.  I find that I’m grateful for the things I learn when I fall, yet I often dislike the cuts they bring and the scars they leave behind.  Today I fell, but perhaps for months I’ve been falling, and I have all the bumps and bruises to prove it.  Although they’re not visible to the eye, they are surely recorded on my soul.  It’s funny how often my spirit tried to warn me, with a bit of melancholy here and uncertainty there, but at the time, I hadn’t considered t...

A Message From the Author!

  (Click the Image to Open a Clear View.) "Message From the Author" Dear Reader,  Thank you for taking the time to join the release of A Better Pair of Shoes "The Thinner Soul", a novel . The question of this piece is The Thinner Soul.  Is it within you?  Is it the soul without you? .. or Is it all around you?  Sometimes it's not about strait lines or circles, but rather, about the depths and the heights of our existence and how the ebbs and flow of those extremes impact the soul forever. This book follows the main character onto a journey of many loves.  Yet, with and even without each of these loves, her soul grows thinner by the sheer tug of war.  This story is a great exploration of things worth fighting for, and things worth relinquishing. It's no doubt Radiance is the central focus, and all the book's subplots remain superficial to the true scheme of things.  She remains resilient, and somewhat elusive until at last. I might also add, in thi...